Thursday 20 September 2012

Book club cake of the month... September




















Well, after our unofficial pub meeting, we had our first post Summer gathering. We had read Money by Martin Amis.
 Let me start by saying, I really hated this book!
The book's protagonist is an example of eighties excesses, he is obsessed by money, he drinks, pops pills, abuses women and is the most unsympathetic character I have ever read.
Our group fell into three camps. Those who hadn't finished (and I suspect would never pick up the book again) including a friend going through chemo who had to stop because it made her literally sick. Those who had finished and thoroughly disliked it. And finally, those who hated the first half of the book, but felt that the second half brought redemption and reached a very satisfactory (for them) conclusion.
We gave it an average of 5.5, and with that I have no further wish to discuss it!


Our book club meetings are always a great excuse for fantastic nibbles and this months host did not disappoint, she had made a fantastic roasted pumpkin dish with a gorgeous aubergine dip, as well as the usual cheeses and cold meat platters.(I managed to take a quick pic with my phone and Instagram it before anyone tucked in.) Next months host has warned she intends to lower the bar with some substandard crisps! 


I was pondering what I could make to take to our meeting. I had thoughts of making fondant pills to go on top of cupcakes but then it hit me... millionaires shortbread! I love this sooo much, but my waist line doesn't! So I never make it, but it was the perfect confection for a book about excess. 
There is nothing more disappointing than going to a cafe and having a slice of millionaires shortbread, only to discover it is topped with cooking chocolate...bleurgh. So I made certain I had some good quality chocolate for this beauty. I then used my favourite technique for decoration at the moment. I splashed gold paint all over it!

I have to admit that even writing this post and looking at the pictures is making me hungry!
xxx

Previous official book club cake of the month;
August 2012 (unofficial)
May 2012
April 2012
February 2012
January 2012

5 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks sooo delicious! It must be yummy! :)
    Must try! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellerinize sağlık, çok leziz ve iştah açıcı görünüyor.

    Saygılar..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm... they look DELISH!! I love millionare's shortbread and always have, so will definately have to try this recipe! Recently I set up my own blog, come and check it out at:
    http://rainingcakeandcookies.blogspot.co.uk/
    Many thanks,
    Alex-Rose :)

    ReplyDelete