Thursday 14 June 2012

Book club cake of the month...May

















I know, it's a little late, but to be honest I wasn't thrilled with this book, so maybe that has some reason with the delay.
We read 'Cry The Beloved Country' by Alan Paton. It was published in 1948 and is about South Africa and the social structures that would later bring about apartheid.
The plot centers on two men. Both fathers whose son's actions bring their two separate worlds together.
I think, this is the kind of book that is best read in one or two sittings. I read it during an extremely busy period in five and ten minute chunks. The other members of the book club, who read it less piecemeal loved the poetic rhythm in this novel, but I missed that. It does have a very moving end, but maybe because we are reading it knowing the history of the country it colours our view.
Anyway, apologies, as I really remember very little of this story, and don't want to cheat you by plagiarizing Wikipedia!
We gave it an average of 7.5/8, and the person who choose the book did so because she had read it at 15 and found it life changing, so don't let me put you off.
I decided to make a South African pudding as there wasn't much in the book to create a dessert from. I found this recipe for Melktert. It was a version of a custard tart but it isn't baked in the oven like that would be. It was a really quick and easy pudding to make and was very much appreciated. I sprinkled icing sugar mixed with cinnamon over it and it gradually melted and looked even more like an egg custard.



















Next month we are reading 'The Snow Child' by Eowyn Ivey. It is my choice and I am really hoping it is a good read, as my last choice 'The Finkler Question' has gone down in the history of our club as our least favourite! Why don't you read along, and let me know your thoughts on the book, and what cake you would create to go with it.
xxx
Previous book club cake of the month;
April

1 comment:

  1. I've never join any book club. Regardless, I've enjoying some books they've suggested.'Cry The Beloved Country' seems like an intriguing book. I'll look in my library if they have it. And that milk tart recipe, I'll probably try that too. Have a nice day! ^_^

    ReplyDelete