Wednesday 29 September 2010

BAKING DISASTER!



I had a nightmare of a day last week.  
I had 72 cupcakes to make for a post-wedding party.  
At one time I would have cleared three days for this amount,but I can bake them up in a few hours now.
Well, first I accidently made twice the amount of vanilla batter that I needed, and then I realised I had used salted butter instead of unsalted. I could taste the difference, and felt I couldn't let them go out of the house.  So off to Waitrose for more butter to make the batch again, this time managing the right amounts.
Later on I had two batches each of vanilla, lemon and chocolate cupcakes buttercreamed and ready for fondant.
After all the cakes had been baked and I was tidying up, a packet of fondant fell onto my gorgeous Nigella mixing bowl - smashing it into pieces!
Then as I was putting the kids to bed I heard a huge crash and came downstairs to find all the chocolate cakes had mysteriously fallen off the cooling tray onto the floor. At this point all I felt was weary resignation, but I took an alternative bowl and started mixing .... again.
Ah well, my client was really pleased with the final result though -
which is all that counts!


11 comments:

  1. Days like that are awful...at least you got through it (without tears?) and the cupcakes looked fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. all of them: so CUTE! doubled work was worth it! and i simply loved the cupcake stands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, that is one of those days you want to stay under the duvet. Glad it turned out ok in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's called Murphy's law in Ireland and something much ruder in England! Sorry for your trauma!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a rotten day, but well done you for pulling it all together in the end x

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!!!! great outcome though, perhaps you can take comfort in that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a day..... i'm glad you survived :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a true trooper! The results are lovely and I bet you won't make that butter mistake again. :) Very bad luck about the bowl though, hope you can buy a new one with the proceeds of this baking marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are certainly dedicated to get them just right. Do you need any help getting rid of the ones that went wrong? They would have tasted wonderful I'm sure. I love the decoration on those cakes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, what an awful day!! With all that bad luck in one day I am sure you've got some fab things going to happen in the future, esp if you broke your favourite bowl. Well done for not giving up.
    cheers,
    Leoni

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awful day! They look so beautiful, as always! Have a sweet day x

    ReplyDelete